I know that I have posted this image in previous blogs, but it’s new here and still something I feel passionately about. As an English teacher and artist (my college degree is in commercial photography), I feel that this sentiment speaks to both my passions. I believe that sometimes words aren’t enough. I think we have all been in situations where words may have even ruined the moment. And then there are times where words are a beautiful, sometimes even poetic expression of our souls.
Today was one of those days where the two came together harmoniously (pun intended. I am an English teacher, after all 😉 )
A co-worker and friend of mine brought me Part 1 of his 3 Part breakup mix. Part 1 is labeled “The Angry Period,” and although I am truly not angry about my recent breakup (no one did anything “wrong,” we are just better matched as friends), I have gotten a kick out of hearing a slew of songs and lyrics I’ve never heard before! I am including the Part 1 discography below.
One of the times I can remember feeling as though a song was singing my heart’s words was this past spring when I had just been staff reduced from my job at East High School. I was searching for another job in the district. One of my formal principals called Columbus Downtown High School and told the principal there that he should make sure to interview me because I would be perfect for the opening there. Long story short, I got the gig. I was driving home from school the day I got the offer and Defying Gravity from the Wicked soundtrack came on my iPod. The part at then end of the song, when Elphaba is “flying high…defying gravity”…man! I just belted it at the top of my long, music full blast in my Honda. Ok, I probably looked ridiculous driving down 315, but at that moment, the music just GOT me! Nothing was going to bring me down. No matter what, I would, have, and will, always rise above life’s struggles and defy some freaking gravity.
What about you folks?? What songs speak to your souls??
Breakup Mix vol.1 “The Angry Period”
1. Ben FOlds Five – Song for the DUmped
2. Hugo – 99 Problems
3. Glen Hansard – Lies
4. Elizabeth + the Catapult – Mama’s Boy
5. Ludo – Love Me Dead
6. Lilly Allen – GWB (F#*k You Very Much) This is a fabulous song and I had heard it before and LOVE it!!
7. Rilo Kiley – Love’s a Game
8. Death Cab for Cutie – Face that launched 1000 Sh!ts
9. Audra Mae + the Almighty Sound – Ne’er Do Wells
10. Von Bondies – Earthquake
11. Jemima Pearl – I Hate People
12. Hannah Georgas – Mama’s Boy
13. Churchill – Change
14. Tilly + the Wall – Pot Kettle Black
15. New Politics – Yeah Yeah Yeah
16. Anya Marina – Clean and Sober
17. Elizabeth + the Catapult – Go Away My Lover
18. Reel Big Fish – I Know You Too Well to Like You Anymore
I will keep you updated as the other 2 parts come in!