Today is my nephew, Mason’s, 5th birthday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MASON!!
Mason is my sister Danielle’s (Danni) boisterous (not so!) baby boy! Although I have not had the joy of being in Mason’s life since day 1 (that’s a whole OTHER story!), I am so blessed to have him in my life now. When I first met Mason, it was September 2009 and he was 16 months old. I was so excited to have this blonde bouncing (ALL over the place) kid in my life. All he wanted to do was smile, giggle and bounce! Danni and Mason live in Akron with a large branch of our family tree, so unfortunately I do not get to see Mason on a regular basis. But not seeing him all the time makes each of his developments so much more obvious. It started with walking. Sure, he walked when I first met him, but he didn’t really enjoy walking. Mason preferred to BOUNCE! It was like playing with a freaking kangaroo! Then after the walking came the talking. He started to be able to formulate actual words and started to put them together into sentences! And then bowling! Ha! I remember after the walking and talking, David (my brother), Danni and I took Mason bowling and he loved it. And now, dinosaurs! For most 5-year-olds, especially Mason, dinosaurs are the COOLEST. He still just a kid, so it’s simple, but I love to see him develop a passion for something. It’s wonderful to think that someday he will have that same passion for deeper ideas.
My last visit with Mason was for his 5th birthday party. Everything was dinosaur themed, thanks to the amazing party planning skills of my sister and my Aunt Emily. After the party, I got to spend the night with Danni and Mason. We got Swenson’s Galley Boy Burgers (ermegherd…possibly one of my favorite foods. My best friend Kristen, who is from Akron, brought me a Galley Boy from Akron to Columbus once, keeping it warm with her car’s seat heater. God, I love that girl.) and milkshakes and watched Jurassic Park. Ok…Danni and I watched Jurassic Park. Mason made it through maybe 30 minutes of it before falling asleep (proof we’re genetically related). Danni and I stayed up gabbing and fell asleep with the TV on (something we both love to do and more proof we are sisters).
After breakfast the next morning, I had to hit the road back home.
On my way out the door, Mason yelled, “See ya later! Don’t be a stranger!”
Kid, you couldn’t keep me away if you tried.
For Mason on his FIFTH Birthday, My 5 Favorite things about Mason:
1. His gorgeous blonde hair! Boy, I pay good money to get my hair your color!
2. His endearing smile. When that kid smiles and giggles, you can’t help but to join in.
3. His sense of humor. Mason is 5, so not everything that he finds hilarious, actually is, but I’m 28 and still have that problem, so we’ve got that in common.
4. His love of books! I’m an English teacher, so every holiday, I bring new books for Mason and I get to read them to him. Those are a few of my most precious Mason Moments.
5. His originality. There is no other kid just like Mason and he is growing to be one cool little man. I am very privileged to be a part of his life and watch him grow.